Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Project 1 – Design Foundations Ink & Paper Transformation

 

Final Piece
In my Ink and Paper Transformation piece, I decided to focus on the theme of drug addiction. I included a brain, a pill bottle, and a syringe to hint at a theme of substances and their effect on the brain. This theme is very important to me because my biological mother got pregnant with me at 17 and then fell into the path of addiction. This choice has impacted me in the ways I think about addiction, think about others going through addiction, and helped me understand that the path to being clean is not easy because it is also a mental illness. I chose a very complex and contrasting background design to make the viewer feel confused and weary. To me, the background is mirroring the outside world where the addict is trying to make good choices, but bad choices melt across them. To get a confused reaction from viewers, I utilized the principle of contrast to help pull darks and lights out of my piece, which left no room for color, just thought provocation. I chose wavy lines filled and not filled in with ink. These lines are created wavy to continue to convey a confusing emotion. Conveying emotion was one of my leading choices and challenges in my piece. I didnt want to lay my story out in from of viewers, but I wanted to make them feel how it feels to be stuck in a cycle of addiction, with the world around them. I centered a brain and created the interior lines to mimic the lobes of the brain. I added wavy lines to convey a messy, working, and thinking brain and included straight AND curvy lines on the outside to show juxtaposition in the surrounding world. I started with a pencil to get my ideas out, and then a ballpoint pen for the linework, and then a sharpie to fill any large blank areas. To get sharp straight lines, I used a ruler. In addition to contrast, I use alot of repetition in this piece with line work in the background and the foreground to displace the viewer.


Studies

No comments:

Post a Comment

Project 1 – Design Foundations Ink & Paper Transformation

  Final Piece In my Ink and Paper Transformation piece, I decided to focus on the theme of drug addiction. I included a brain, a pill bottle...